Yield 4 servings
Serving Size: 1/4th recipe
Prep Time: 5 min
Chill Time: 3 hours to overnight
1 (13.5oz can) full-fat coconut milk
½ cup hemp hearts
¼ cup chia seeds
1 scoop vegan chocolate protein powder
1 tablespoon cacao powder
Stevia, to taste
Pinch sea salt
½ teaspoon coconut extract (optional)
4 teaspoons cacao nibs
4 teaspoons unsweetened shredded coconut
Whisk all ingredients together and place in a large glass container for at least 3 hours. Before serving, top each portion with 1 teaspoon cacao nibs and 1 teaspoon coconut
388 kcal; 28 g fat; 15 g pro; 13 g carb (calculated with 1 scoop vegan shakeology; nutrition info will vary greatly based on the type of protein powder you select)
RECIPE courtesy of Chalene Johnson and the Diet Beta Test
Today’s Micronutrient Monday focus is the Yacon Root. What the heck is it you ask? It looks kind of like a sweet potato, but has many hidden talents that come alive inside your body! It BANISHES bad digestions, regulates regularity and activates absorption of nutrients. It’s a powerful antioxidant, and studies show that yacon may help support ideal blood sugar levels and healthy cardiovascular function.
Yacon is a tuber grown in the Northern and Central Andes from Ecuador to Argentina. It’s become a star with diabetics due to its sweet but low glycemic substance called inulin.
Now I’m going to throw some REAL SCIENCE at you! C,mon, don’t click off the page! Read up buttercup and feel educated about the properties that lie in this root that YOU NEED!
- Yacon contains fructooligosaccharides, an indigestible natural sweetener.
- Fructooligosaccharides (or FOS) taste sweet, but break down slowly, passing through the digestive tract unmetabolized, and thus have very low caloric value. As an additional nutrition bonus, these FOS have a prebiotic effect, meaning that they are used by “friendly” bacteria (probiotics) that favor colon health and digestion.
- Probiotics are the good, healthy bacteria strains that live in your intestines, help to digest food, and help keep you “regular.” These healthy bacteria need special nutrients called prebiotics to grow and thrive.
- A study published in the European Journal of Nutrition, conducted by the Institute of Organic Chemistry, suggested that four different components of yacon each provide their own “potent antioxidant activity” and have been shown to reduce blood glucose levels in rats. Read more here.
Now that you know all about the Yacon Root, are you ready to give it a try? Every single glass of Shakeology is filled with this wonder of mother nature. Get yours now – you owe it to yourself :-)
I don’t know about you, but I really care about what I put into my body. If I see a label full of chemical concoctions that I can’t even pronounce I put it right back on the shelf where it belongs.
“Chemicals in our food today, (which are all “A OKAY” with the FDA) are, in my opinion, like VIAGRA for Cancer.”
Want to encourage free radical growth in your body? Then go ahead and keep supplementing with your average “protein shake”. I want to be around for my son, my husband, my parents – I have no desire to wreck my insides with crap just so I can look “good” on the outside!
Every glass of Shakeology contains Supernutrients from around the globe, including:
- Adaptogen Supernutrients that help promote strong immune function, help the body cope with environmental stress, naturally help increase energy, help promote ideal cognitive function, and promote calmness
- Antioxidant Supernutrients that protect the body from free radicals, prevent cellular damage, and promote cardiovascular health
- Vitamin and Mineral Supernutrients that help your cells make energy, build and repair muscles, strengthen bones and support energy production
- Protein and Amino Acid Supernutrients that build muscle, reduce hunger and food cravings, help keep blood sugar steady, promote healthy skin, hair and nails, support brain function for alert thinking and well-being and support your immune system
- Phytonutrient Supernutrients that support strong immune function, promote healthy aging, help detoxify the body and promote an ideal alkaline state
- Probiotics Supernutrients that promote healthy digestion and normal colon function
- Prebiotics Supernutrients that help probiotics grow and thrive, and strengthen the immune system
- Digestive enzyme Supernutrients that help your body break down food to assimilate nutrients better
The list above looks pretty good to me!! In fact, I can talk about it all day long because I have been drinking Shakeology for three years STRAIGHT. And guess what?? My cholesterol levels (which are naturally high due to genetics) are now in normal ranges! I feel amazing and my hair and lashes prove it!
How can I get you started?