- 4-6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1.5 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head of garlic
- 1.5 large yellow onions, thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- 3 lemons, halved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup olives, pitted (mixed Greek, Kalamata, or Cerignola)
- garnish – fresh thyme leaves
Let chicken sit at room temp. for at least 20 minutes. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Preheat oven to 350.
Preheat 12 in. cast iron skillet, add oil and heat over medium high. Add chicken, skin-side down; cook until brown, 5-6 minutes. Slice 1/4 inch from top of garlic. Add garlic to pan, cut side down. Turn chicken over. Cook until browned, about 3 minutes. Remove chicken and garlic from pan.
Add onions. Add lemon halves, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp. salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add wine, lemon juice and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Add chicken, garlic and olives.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool slightly. Garnish with fresh Thyme. Serve with your favorite vegetable or salad!
Makes about 6 servings.