I found this and have to share because it looks amazing! VERY low carb and full of dense nutrition! The cashew sour cream just might be a game-changer if you’re avoiding dairy.
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Salt and pepper
- For garnish: cashew sour cream, sliced green onions
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Arrange the sweet potatoes, pepper slices, diced onion, and unpeeled garlic in an even layer. Drizzle with avocado oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20-35 minutes, or until the veggies are soft. Remove from oven. Pop the garlic out of the skins. Transfer the veggies to a blender. Add the vegetable broth and puree until smooth. Transfer to a pot and add the smoked paprika and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes to allow flavors to meld. Turn off heat. Taste and add more salt, if needed, and cayenne, to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and top with cashew sour cream, green onions, and an extra sprinkle of paprika.
Cashew Sour Cream
from The Vegan Table by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau
1 1/2 cups raw cashews
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 to 3/4 cup water
salt, to taste
Blend cashews, lemon juice, 1/2 cup water and a little salt in a blender or food processor gradually moving from low to high speed. While the machine is running, add a little more water as needed until you have reached a consistency that is like whipped cream.
Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days. (I actually kept mine longer and it was still great.)
Yield: 1 cup