This is a delicious take on Spaghetti squash. Don’t let the long ingredient list scare you! If you need a shortcut, purchase a jarred Molé with clean ingredients and use that instead of the one called for here. You can also prep the Molé in advance to save time.
- 1/4 cup low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. unflavored gelatin (preferably from grass fed cows)
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cut in half lengthwise, seeded (approx 3 lbs.)
For the Molé:
- 1 dash sea salt + 1/4 tsp. (divided)
- 1 dash + 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper (divided)
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped onion (1 medium, divided)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 small Roma tomatoes: Cut one into quarters, remove seeds from the other and chop.
- 1 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp. finely grated lime peel (lime zest)
- 2 tsp. honey
- 1 Tbsp. semisweet (or dark) chocolate chips
- 2 tsp. pumpkin seeds
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce (from your canned pepper)
- 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. ghee
- 1 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (about 2/3 medium)
- 1/4 grated cotija cheese (can sub feta)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
Directions for Squash:
- Preheat oven to 400
- Line large baking sheet with parchment.
- Sprinkle broth with gelatin in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly coat squash with some olive oil (or spray). Season with 1 dash of salt and 1 dash pepper. Placed face-down on prepared baking sheet. Bake for 38-40 minutes, or until flesh is fork tender.
Directions for Molé:
- While squash is baking, place 1/2 cup onion, garlic, quartered tomato, lime juice, lime peel, honey, chocolate chips, seeds, chipotle pepper, adobo sauce, chili powder, paprika, coriander, cumin, remaining 1/4 tsp. salt, and remaining 1/4 tsp. peper in a blender; cover.
- Blend until a smooth paste forms.
Directions for Filling:
- Heat ghee in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add your Molé. Bring to a gentle boil; gently boil, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Add broth mixture; whisk to blend.
- Add chicken. Bring to a boil. reduce to low; gently simmer, stirring occasionally, for 13-15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and sauce has reduced to the consistency of barbecue sauce. Set aside.
- When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape flesh into stringy noodles.
- Heat oven to BROIL.
- Add half chicken mixture to each squash half, top each evenly with 1/4 cup onion, chopped tomato, bell pepper, and cheese. Broil on high for 5 minutes or until top is lightly browned.
- Garnish with cilantro. Divide contents of squash halves equally between six plates and enjoy!
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving): Calories: 204
Total Fat: 7 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Sodium: 504 mg
Carbohydrates: 19 g
Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 9 g
Protein: 19 g