How about a rich, creamy, low carb Cauliflower Chowder to cozy up with on those fall evenings?
- 4 -6 slices bacon, diced
- 2 tablespoons unsalted, grass-fed butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/4 cup AP flour or gluten free flour (almond flour is an option too)
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or coconut milk
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons of chives or green onions, chopped
- Sharp shredded cheddar. My favorite is Tillamook
- Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and bay leaf. Cook, stirring occasionally, until barely crisp-tender, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour. Gradually whisk in chicken broth and cream, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until cauliflower are tender, about 12-15 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the chowder is too thick, add more broth. Too thin? Add more cream as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve immediately, garnished with bacon, chives and parsley, and sharp cheddar.
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious