Calories in, calories out. To manage calories in you must diet, but DIET is a four letter word…literally. Mentioning the word diet will typically make people twitch, squirm, sigh and want to run away screaming! You need to reprogram yourself to think of diet as a structure, a game plan, a guideline to a healthy lifestyle.
How to get started?
Simple. If it grows in the ground, is raised on an organic farm, swims in the ocean*, is not processed or laden with chemicals, then it is something you should be eating. Start there and then work on balance. Balancing your ratios of protein, carbs and fats in a meal plan can be tricky. If you follow some simple steps you’ll be on the right path.
- Eat small meals with a balance of lean protein and complex carbs every 2-3 hours.
- Drink a glass of water with each meal so that by the end of the day you’ve had at least 64 oz.
- Include a high-quality protein shake at least once a day. I recommend Shakeology.
- Stay out of the middle of the grocery store. Stay away from chemicals like artificial sweeteners, processed foods and diet sodas.
- Try to buy organic – veggies, low-fat dairy and grass-fed beef. If organic is unavailable find a local farmer or co-op to purchase your veggies etc.
- In moderation choose healthy fats such as olive oil, flaxseed oil, organic peanut or almond butter, avocadoes etc. Fat doesn’t make you fat. Eating too much of it will.
- And finally, Eat a Cheat Meal! Yes, have a cheat meal or two a week to keep your sanity as you start to enjoy the slimmer version of YOU!
Need a meal plan?
The four letter word is much easier if you have a meal plan. I use the Beachbody Meal Planner to track my weekly meals.