This is a yummy protein rich quinoa salad perfect for mid-week fitness meals. Although often classified as a grain, quinoa is a closer relative with leafy green vegatables such as spinach and Swiss chard. It’s protein rich, has a nutty flavor and a creamy, slightly crunchy texture. Add roasted garlic, tomato and spinach and you have a winner!
Ingredients: Choose organic/non-GMO produce when possible.
- 1 whole garlic head
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon dry white wine
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato (1 small)
- 1 tablespoon shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350°.
Remove skins from garlic head. Cut off tips of garlic head and wrap in foil. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Once cool squeeze entire head to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and red pepper to pan and saute for 1 minute. Add quinoa to pan and cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine and cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and stir in garlic pulp, spinach, tomato, cheese, and salt. Serve.
Servings: 4 – 1/2 cup servings